This next piece I started when I lived on Nastar, which has to be 18 years ago – it was part of a Block of the Month project for our online customers. This was September/October, but when I finished it, it had a VERY noticeable bulge from bad ironing – in two separate places.
Took both borders off, made a new sandwich, and then sewed the borders back into place to hold the top for quilting. I did a lot of work with new patterns from Lori Kennedy and her Craftsy classes.
There are amazing motifs, and Lori’s technique of doodling them first works like a charm. Here are some pics of patterns:
Lori’s Twist, which I can finally understand how it’s done – parallel lines up and down and everything looks perfect. My bubbles and straight-line quilting. An example of quilting the marbled fabrics.
LOVE the leaf motif – now I have several in my bag of tricks – way easier than it looks! New motif in the turquoise – an exaggerated swirl.
A better look at the orange peel (I know it as a cathedral windows variation) and the swirl.
Lessons learned –
- I want to be able to do what Judi Madsen does with the negative space and have one pattern rather than several, depending on the space.
- STILL love the colors in this quilt!
- Markers help cover up tension issues from a different color bobbin thread.
- The back doesn’t have to be all one color, especially if you’re having tension issues from two different weights of thread.
- Outside (final border) can be very simple.